- 1The hero of The Pied Piper of Hamelin, a poem by Robert Browning (1842), based on an old German legend. The piper, dressed in particolored costume, rid the town of Hamelin (Hameln) in Brunswick of rats by enticing them away with his music, and when refused the promised payment he lured away the children of the citizens.
- 1.1 (as noun a Pied Piper) A person who entices people to follow them, especially to their doom.More example sentences
- Out on the streets in these impoverished areas east of the Tigris River, they are like Pied Pipers, leading a trail of dozens of children behind them within minutes of arriving in a neighborhood.
- But before I get to genuflecting villagers, let me talk about my role as a Pied Piper.
- No wonder a succession of diet experts have become the Pied Pipers of the modern age.
More definitions of Pied PiperDefinition of Pied Piper in:
- The British & World English dictionary