Definition of Pinnipedia in English:
An order of carnivorous aquatic mammals that comprises the seals, sea lions, and walrus. They are distinguished by their flipperlike limbs.
- Order Pinnipedia: three families
- Some authorities, however, consider the pinnipeds to be monophyletic and basal to all living carnivores (feliform and caniform), and place it in a separate order, the Pinnipedia.
- The seals (Pinnipedia) have three extant families: Odobenidae, Otariidae (fur seals), and Phocidae (including gray seal and harbor seal).
- Within Pinnipedia, the closer affinity of Otariidae to either Phocidae or Obodenidae has long been debated.
Definition of Pinnipedia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.