A floating colonial coelenterate with a number of polyps and a conspicuous float. It occurs chiefly in warm seas, and bears long tentacles that can inflict painful stings.
- Physalia physalis, order Siphonophora, class Hydrozoa
More example sentences
- Among their more unusual behavior, the octopuses employ a unique defense mechanism by tearing off the tentacles of passing Portuguese man-of-war jellyfish.
- There are about a million reported cases of stings each year - most commonly from jellyfish, and particularly in tropical oceans where the Portuguese man-of-war and box jellyfish are prevalent.
- If a Portuguese man-of-war stings you it will be very painful.
Definition of Portuguese man-of-war in:
- The British & World English dictionary