Definition of Presbyterian in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting a Christian Church or denomination governed by elders according to the principles of Presbyterianism.
- That continued when we moved to Minnesota, and I started as a lay volunteer with the church staff and elders at Christ Presbyterian, a very large Presbyterian church.
- By contrast, the prayers uttered in other Christian groups, especially the Churches of Christ and Presbyterian denominations, tend to reinforce what has been taught from the Bible.
- It is, he believes, an accelerating decline, even in conservative Presbyterian denominations.
nounBack to top
1A member of a Presbyterian Church.
- By comparison twenty-one years after the arrival of their first missionary, Presbyterians had 32 churches and 1,729 members.
- Elements from each church would form the structure of the new institution, with the traditions of bishops taken from the Episcopal Church, elders from the Presbyterians and United Reformed Church, and lay preachers from the Methodists.
- Toward that end he is planning trips to Korea and New Zealand this year to raise the seminary's profile among the Korean Presbyterians and Reformed Churches of New Zealand.
1.1An advocate of the Presbyterian system.
- For example, we owe the Presbyterians thanks for the system of representation adopted at the Constitutional Convention, as well as the concept of a dedicated public statesman.
- Their views and ecclesiastical organization were similar to those of Presbyterians, with whom they easily merged.
- For the sake of context, let me tell you two things that Presbyterians believe about church government.
Definition of Presbyterian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia