A group of mollusks that includes the limpets, abalones, and many terrestrial and aquatic snails. They all have a shell, and many have an operculum.
- Subclass Prosobranchia, class Gastropoda
More example sentences
- Gastropods were traditionally classified into three main subclasses, Prosobranchia, Pulmonata, and Opisthobranchia.
- In the traditional classification system, the class Gastropoda has been divided into three subclasses, Prosobranchia, Pulmonata, and Opisthobranchia.
- They share certain basic characteristics with the Prosobranchia, but they are placed with the Opisthobranchia because there is a smoother transition from the Cephalaspidea to the other opisthobranch orders.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek prosō 'forward' + brankhia 'gills'.
- More example sentences
- Serotonergic neurons arise early in gangliogenesis in pulmonate, prosobranch, and opisthobranch embryos.
- Pulmonates are dioecious and hermaphroditic as are prosobranchs, but pulmonates develop directly (there is no larval form).
- Traditionally, opisthobranchs have been recognized as a natural group and have been included within the gastropods together with prosobranchs and pulmonates.
Definition of Prosobranchia in:
- The British & World English dictionary