Definition of Protestant in English:
Protestants are so called after the declaration (protestatio) of Martin Luther and his supporters dissenting from the decision of the Diet of Spires (1529), which reaffirmed the edict of the Diet of Worms against the Reformation. All Protestants reject the authority of the papacy, both religious and political, and find authority in the text of the Bible
- The building was first founded as a Huguenot Church for Protestants fleeing Catholic oppression in France.
- Evangelical Protestants sought the reformation of society as well as individuals.
- It's a minority Church also in the north of Ireland where most Protestants are Presbyterians.
adjectiveBack to top
- He soon determined to have Protestant religion in the land and devotion to the Bible.
- What is disturbing is that eighty per cent of these converts come from Protestant church backgrounds.
- The sheer diversity of Protestant churches, all of which recognize the same canon, is ample proof of this.
- Example sentences
- The object, as many pietists put it, was to ‘Christianize the Catholics,’ to force Catholic and Lutheran children into public schools, which could then be used as an instrument of pietist Protestantization.
- The other significant trend within the Protestantization process in Mexico is its increasing regionalization, or, strictly speaking, geographical shift of the ‘weight’ of the process.
- Furthermore, not only have the advocates of the Protestantization process often exaggerated its impact - so have its critics.
- Example sentences
- If you want to Protestantize the Catholic Church, you're going to get Protestant-type results.
- This finally leads me to his claim in his second article that following the Second Vatican Council the Mass was ‘Protestantised’.
- This group of believers is actively resisting increasing social ‘Protestatization’ with a ‘Protestantized’ Catholicism.
Definition of Protestant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.