Definition of Quapaw in English:
noun (plural same or Quapaws)
1A member of an American Indian people of the Arkansas River region, now living mainly in northeastern Oklahoma.
- It was a place where the Quapaw and choctaws paddled dugout canoes, ivory-billed woodpeckers shredded bark from ancient trees, and mallard ducks rained down ahead of the first autumn blue norther.
- The Quapaw maintained a homeland that was defined by their ancestral burial grounds, a dualistic social organization, and a religious concept of Wakonda.
- Essays cover the Timucua, Guale, Apalachee, Chickasaw, Caddo, Natchez, Quapaw, Cherokee, Upper Creek, Lower Creek, and Seminole Indians.
2The Siouan language of the Quapaw.
- However, I knew him all of my life and he could not speak Quapaw at all except for a few words.
- The Miami woman said she's the last person in the area, and one of the very few last people in the country, who still speaks Quapaw fluently.
- You may also like to visit our Sioux Languages homepage to see how Quapaw relates to other languages from the Siouan family.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Quapaw or their language.
- On the central Plains are found the Omaha, Osage, Ponca, Kansa, and Quapaw languages; in Wisconsin one finds the Winnebago language; on the Gulf Coast are the Tutelo, Ofo, and Biloxi languages; and in the Southeast one finds Catawba.
- Each of those ideas ‘derived at least part of its meaning from its relationship with one or both of the other features’, and they remained intact even as various changes permeated Quapaw society.
- At various points he gives inconsistent counts of numbers of Natchez, Quapaw, and Caddo warriors.
from Quapaw okáxpa, perhaps meaning 'those downstream', originally the name of a village.
Definition of Quapaw in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India