- The ninth month of the Muslim year, during which strict fasting is observed from sunrise to sunset.More example sentences
- It also came a day ahead of the expected start of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan.
- Coming out of the month of Ramadan and into Hajj, you need to quickly get your body in shape.
- Muslims are required to fast during Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.
from Arabic ramaḍān, from ramaḍa 'be hot'. The lunar reckoning of the Muslim calendar brings the fast eleven days earlier each year, eventually causing Ramadan to occur in any season; originally it was supposed to be in one of the hot months.
More definitions of RamadanDefinition of Ramadan in:
- The British & World English dictionary