Definition of Rastafarian in English:
Of or relating to a religious movement of Jamaican origin holding that blacks are the chosen people, that Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia was the Messiah, and that black people will eventually return to their Africa.
- The Rastafarian religion inspired by Emperor Haile Selassie is what brought American Gladstone Robinson to Ethiopia 40 years ago.
- From Garvey's teachings, the Rastafarian movement emerged in Jamaica in the 1930s.
- The Kebra Negast is a book of Rastafarian spirituality and religious interpretations.
nounBack to top
A member of the Rastafarian religious movement. Rastafarians have distinctive codes of behavior and dress, including the wearing of dreadlocks, the smoking of cannabis, the rejection of Western medicine, and adherence to a diet that excludes pork, shellfish, and milk.
- The two suspects told police they are Rastafarians, but Rastafarian leaders on the island have denounced the attack.
- The two men were believed to be Rastafarians and members of an anti-Catholic cult.
- This is why Rastafarians refer to the repressive outside world as Babylon.
- Example sentences
- We were asked about the religion of Rastafarianism, which is very prominent in that country.
- I presume it shares memes with Rastafarianism and the Coptic Church.
- Reggae is an African-Caribbean style of music developed on the island of Jamaica and is closely linked to the religion of Rastafarianism.
Definition of Rastafarian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan