- An undulating wave that travels over the surface of a solid, especially of the ground in an earthquake, with a speed independent of wavelength, the motion of the particles being in ellipses.More example sentences
- There are two types of surface waves: Love and Rayleigh waves.
- Arrows depict the high amplitude ground surface waves with velocities equivalent to Rayleigh waves, and higher velocity body waves, most probably p waves.
- The largest amplitudes seen in this movie are the Rayleigh waves traveling around the globe.
More definitions of Rayleigh waveDefinition of Rayleigh wave in:
- The British & World English dictionary