- A style of drama that flourished in London after the Restoration in 1660, typically having a complicated plot marked by wit, cynicism, and licentiousness.More example sentences
- His influence on English Restoration comedy exceeded that of Jonson: dramatists like D' Avenant, Dryden, Wycherley, Vanbrugh, and Shadwell quarried his plays for characters and situations.
- With Charles II came the re-opening of theatres, Restoration comedy, the Plague, the fire of London, and the building of St Paul's Cathedral.
- She quickly built a reputation in London as an original and versatile actress with a special affinity for Restoration comedy.
More definitions of Restoration comedyDefinition of Restoration comedy in:
- The British & World English dictionary