Definition of Rhodes Scholarship in English:
Any of several scholarships awarded annually for study at Oxford University by students from certain Commonwealth countries, South Africa, the US, and Germany.
- He majored in Creative Literature and was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University, where he studied William Blake, while never abandoning his lifelong admiration for the down-home poet of country music, Hank Williams.
- Born and raised in a culturally Jewish but non-observant home, he studied anthropology at Oxford University on a Rhodes Scholarship.
- This opportunity for students who have been awarded a Rhodes Scholarship has been established in recognition of the need for cutting-edge scientific inquiry and the development of the world's future leaders in biomedical science.
named after Cecil Rhodes (see Rhodes, Cecil), who founded the scholarships in 1902.
Rhodes scholar noun
- Example sentences
- Schmoke graduated from Yale before going on to Oxford University, where he studied as a Rhodes Scholar, and Harvard University Law School, where he graduated in 1976.
- Mr Ludwig was at Yale Law School with the future president and more importantly, was a Keasbey Scholar when the young Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University.
- This fall I will head to Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar to study comparative social policy.
Definition of Rhodes Scholarship in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan