read someone the Riot Act (or riot act)
- Give someone a strong warning that they must improve their behavior.More example sentences
- ‘Michael has a reputation for reading the Riot Act to civil servants.’
- The upshot was that the Mayor read the Riot Act and the they postponed their get-together until the following month.
- Up came the men in yellow and orange to read the Riot Act and cast a threatening cloud.
More definitions of Riot ActDefinition of Riot Act in:
- The British & World English dictionary