Definition of Robertsonian in English:
1Denoting a chromosome with a central centromere formed from two chromosomes having noncentral centromeres.
- As an internal standard the lengths of the chromosome 11 homologs were normalized to the length of the 12: 13 Robertsonian translocation chromosome, which is characteristic of this cell line.
- TRD is observed among specific regions of the mouse and human genome and is frequently associated with chromosome rearrangements such as Robertsonian chromosomes.
1.1(Of a karyotypic change or translocation) brought about by this process.
- We intercrossed mice heterozygous for a Robertsonian translocation and performed molecular genotyping of 1812 embryos from 364 litters with known parental origin, strain, and age.
- The remaining 3 percent have a Robertsonian translocation in which all or part of an extra chromosome 21 is fused with another chromosome.
- One of the affected children, born to a woman aged 29, had a de novo unbalanced Robertsonian translocation, and the remainder were due to non-disjunction.
1950s: from the name of William R. B. Robertson (1881–1941), American biologist, + -ian.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan