noun (plural same or Rohingyas)
- 1A member of a Muslim people inhabiting western Burma (Myanmar): the UNHCR estimates 800,000 Rohingya live in Burma’s mountainous Rakhine stateMore example sentences
- Among them are Acehnese from Indonesia and people from the minority Muslim community of Rohingyas in Myanmar.
- The Rohingya in Myanmar live mostly in the northern state of Rahkine and in the past fled through Bangladesh and into the Middle East.
- There are also hundreds of thousands of Rohingya living in Bangladesh.
- 2The Indic language of the Rohingya: he asked me if I spoke RohingyaMore example sentences
- In retrospect, perhaps I should have asked him to speak Rohingya. But what he said is more important than what language he spoke.
- They only speak Rohingya.
- Rohingya (Ruáingga) is the spoken language of Rohingya people which is similar to Chittagonian language spoken in the neighbouring Chittagong region of Bangladesh.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting the Rohingya: Rohingya communities Rohingya MuslimsMore example sentences
- Authorities are now trying to ascertain whether they are members of the Rohingya community from the Arakan region of Myanmar.
- The ruling states that the man is a member of the Rohingya minority in Myanmar and had been involved in pro-democracy political activities.
- A local woman helped a Rohingya refugee in a small hospital after she was rescued yesterday off Indonesia.
Rohingya: self-designation, from the name of a former kingdom of Burma.
More definitions of RohingyaDefinition of Rohingya in:
- The British & World English dictionary