Definition of Romanist in English:
2chiefly derogatory A member or supporter of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Certainly, the burnings of Mary Tudor's reign had made the Romanists and Protestants more entrenched in their views.
- The Romanists became even more bold, demanding to know why I believed that the Bible was the Word of God; demanding to know why I believed Sola Scriptura; even asking if I would be offended if they offered me a set of rosary beads.
- The Anglican thinks to himself, ‘I'm not a Romanist bound by all that legalism, so I'm set.’
adjectivechiefly derogatory Back to top
Belonging or adhering to the Roman Catholic Church.
- I don't buy that this about Evangelicals suspicious of the Anglo-Catholic Romanist leanings.
- Although Parliament alone could change this order, Mary's Romanist supporters began to celebrate mass as soon as she arrived in the capital.
- All liturgics I can celebrate in Romanist basilicas.
Definition of Romanist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.