Definition of Romanist in English:
2chiefly derogatory A member or supporter of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Certainly, the burnings of Mary Tudor's reign had made the Romanists and Protestants more entrenched in their views.
- The Romanists became even more bold, demanding to know why I believed that the Bible was the Word of God; demanding to know why I believed Sola Scriptura; even asking if I would be offended if they offered me a set of rosary beads.
- The Anglican thinks to himself, ‘I'm not a Romanist bound by all that legalism, so I'm set.’
adjectivechiefly derogatory Back to top
Belonging or adhering to the Roman Catholic Church.
- I don't buy that this about Evangelicals suspicious of the Anglo-Catholic Romanist leanings.
- Although Parliament alone could change this order, Mary's Romanist supporters began to celebrate mass as soon as she arrived in the capital.
- All liturgics I can celebrate in Romanist basilicas.
Definition of Romanist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan