Definition of Romansh in English:
The Rhaeto-Romanic language that is spoken in the Swiss canton of Grisons and is an official language of Switzerland.
- Most of the inhabitants speak a German dialect, but French and Italian are also recognized as official languages, and Romansh, spoken by a tiny minority, is a fourth national tongue.
- Another 18 percent speak French, about 10 percent - mostly in the Ticino region - speak Italian, and roughly 1 percent speak Romansh, a dialect spoken mostly in the Grison region.
- The language is, in fact, a mix of several, though it sounds a bit like the Swiss dialect Rumantsch.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Romansh.
- The children of the Romansh region learn German or French.
Definition of Romansh in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia