Definition of Safavid in English:
A member of a dynasty that ruled Persia 1502–1736 and installed Shia rather than Sunni Islam as the state religion.
- In specifically religious terms the Safavids not only persecuted Sunni Muslims, but Shi'ites with different views, and all other religions.
- The establishment of the Shi'a faith as the official religion brought the Safavids into conflict with the Sunni Ottomans.
- The Shiite Safavids ruled Iraq in the late 1500s and early 1600s under Shah Abbas.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Safavid dynasty.
- This capital of the 17th century Safavid dynasty can keep a visitor in awe for days.
- This distinction between the Alavid and the Safavid versions of Shi'ism was emphasized by Dr. Ali Shari'ati.
- The entrance portal is a supreme example of styles from Safavid architecture displaying sumptuous tilework, calligraphy, complex stalactite mouldings and expert use of colour and scale, dwarfing the visitor.
from Arabic ṣafawī 'descended from the ruler Sophy'.
Definition of Safavid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan