- A member of a left-wing Nicaraguan political organization, the Sandinista National Liberation Front (FSLN), which came to power in 1979 after overthrowing the dictator Anastasio Somoza. Opposed during most of their period of rule by the US-backed Contras, the Sandinistas were voted out of office in 1990.More example sentences
- In Nicaragua, when the Sandinistas overthrew the Somoza dictatorship in 1978, the U.S. government immediately became involved.
- The left-wing Sandinistas, after overthrowing a U.S.-backed, right-wing dictatorship years ago, actually held elections.
- In Nicaragua, the Sandinistas had overthrown the US-backed Somosa dictatorship and had gone on to consolidate their power by winning an election.
named after a similar organization founded by the nationalist leader Augusto César Sandino (1893–1934).
More definitions of SandinistaDefinition of Sandinista in:
- The British & World English dictionary