(also Sauvignon BlancˈbläNˈbläNGk)
Definition of Sauvignon in English:
1A variety of white wine grape.
- The rustic Pais vine variety dominates plantings, especially in the rain-fed areas, although Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon, and Merlot are also important.
- Increasing plantings here have made it our fourth most planted white after Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Riesling.
- One of the few examples of a Chardonnay / Sauvignon blend, this is one of my favourite quaffing whites at the moment, combining peachy Chardonnay ripeness with Sauvignon's gooseberry austerity.
1.1A white wine made from the Sauvignon grape.
- Australia is not as well known for its Sauvignons as New Zealand, but some of the wines coming out of Western Australia are outstanding.
- Some age their Sauvignons in new oak, disguising it as a sort of poor man's Chardonnay.
- Throw in some increasingly good Sauvignons from South Africa, Chile, Australia and Hungary and you have a much more diverse and interesting picture than you had even five years ago.
Words that rhyme with SauvignonAvignon • Semillon
Definition of Sauvignon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.