Definition of Scots in English:
another term for Scottish. a Scots accent
[northern variant, originally as Scottis]
More example sentences
- Last week's debate on the incorporation of the European Convention on Human Rights into Scots law may turn out to be a kind of constitutional landmark.
- The only slight cloud on the horizon for retailers is emerging evidence that Scots consumers have delayed their Christmas gift-buying.
- The first minister began a four-day visit to the Olympic games in Athens yesterday to cheer on Scots athletes.
nounBack to top
The form of English used in Scotland.
- In some of his songs, most notably in ‘The Cotter's Saturday Night ’, English and Scots are both used.
- Displaying a hitherto hidden facility for languages, he welcomes delegates in three - English, Gaelic and Scots.
- There are rich poetry and prose traditions in Gaelic, Scots, and Scots-inflected English.
Words that rhyme with ScotsWatts
Definition of Scots in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia