- 1between Scylla and Charybdis
- Pronunciation: /kəˈribdis/Used to refer to a situation involving two dangers in which an attempt to avoid one increases the risk from the other.Example sentences
- Sceptics about musical meaning tend to regard these alternatives under the sign of Scylla and Charybdis, as formidable dangers nearly impossible to avoid.
- With software that asked voters to confirm their choices, the new machinery, it was thought, would avoid the Scylla and Charybdis of over-votes and under-votes.
- So most US voters think things are going really well, when in fact the CPA is piloting between Scylla and Charybdis.
Definition of Scylla in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.