between Scylla and Charybdis
- /kəˈribdis/ Used to refer to a situation involving two dangers in which an attempt to avoid one increases the risk from the other.Example sentences
- Sceptics about musical meaning tend to regard these alternatives under the sign of Scylla and Charybdis, as formidable dangers nearly impossible to avoid.
- With software that asked voters to confirm their choices, the new machinery, it was thought, would avoid the Scylla and Charybdis of over-votes and under-votes.
- So most US voters think things are going really well, when in fact the CPA is piloting between Scylla and Charybdis.
Definition of Scylla in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan