- A member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.More example sentences
- After the Bronze Age, Amorites, Western Semites, Hyksos and Hittites successively invaded the area.
- Within the gaunt pinnacles, in colours that represent ores and igneous rock, Ancient Egyptians, Semites and Nabataeans have left evidence of passage.
- Paradoxically, they accuse Arabs who are Semites themselves, of anti-Semitism.
from modern Latin Semita, via late Latin from Greek Sēm 'Shem', son of Noah in the Bible, from whom these people were traditionally supposed to be descended.
More definitions of SemiteDefinition of Semite in:
- The British & World English dictionary