Definition of Sephardi in English:
noun (plural Sephardim-ˈfärdim-ˌfärˈdēm)
1A Jew of Spanish or Portuguese descent. They retain their own distinctive customs and rituals, preserving Babylonian Jewish traditions rather than the Palestinian ones of the Ashkenazim. Compare with Ashkenazi.
- Having been expelled from Spain in 1492, the Sephardim, speaking Ladino, a Spanish dialect, found refuge in north Africa, the Levant, the Ottoman Empire, the Netherlands, and Italy.
- Its history means, of course, that it is an Ashkenazi rather than a Sephardi food.
- There were Ashkenazim and Sephardim, Ethiopians and Russians, American students and fourth-generation sabras.
1.1Any Jew of the Middle East or North Africa.
- It has played on the undoubted discrimination that poor Sephardi Jews of Middle Eastern and North African origin face at the hands of the privileged Labour elite.
- It would take waves of immigration and a certain cultural maturity to embed itself before Israeli food would shift to the far more logical cooking of the Sephardi - the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Jews.
- That having been said, there are white European Jews, Black Jews (Ethiopians and converts from America and elsewhere), Sephardi Jews from Arab lands and Indian Jews.
Modern Hebrew, from sĕp̄āraḏ, a country mentioned in Obad. 20 and taken to be Spain.
- Example sentences
- Ashkenazi Jews joined the Sephardic organizations in the towns of the interior, being too small in number to create their own organization.
- In contrast to Ashkenazic cultures and religious life, Sephardic Jewish religious and cultural life developed in concert with the Arab cultures that surrounded it.
- The Sephardic Jews differed from their Ashkenazi brethren in their language, customs, and habits.
Definition of Sephardi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan