- Copper plated with silver by rolling and edging with silver film and ribbon, especially as produced in Sheffield, England, between 1760 and 1840.More example sentences
- There are three kinds of silver antique: sterling silver, or its equivalent, Sheffield plate, and silver plate.
- Matthew Boulton, James Watt's partner in the manufacture of steam engines, also made silver, Sheffield plate, and ormolu, while another of his associates, Francis Eginton, was a pioneer in the revival of stained glass.
- Chinese porcelain was imitated in the Potteries; silverware was copied as Sheffield plate; exquisite Indian muslins were mimicked in Lancashire.
More definitions of Sheffield plateDefinition of Sheffield plate in:
- The British & World English dictionary