noun[usually as modifier]
- A style of karate that is popular in many countries.More example sentences
- I had already studied Shotokan karate for ten years when I was first introduced to the alternative fist formation.
- Jean Claude, when you were training in Shotokan karate back in Brussels, what did your training consist of?
- She gained much of her early athleticism from several years in a highly competitive swimming program and was very active in the martial arts, having earned a second-degree black belt in Shotokan karate.
Japanese, from shō 'right, true' + to 'way' + kan 'mansion'.
More definitions of ShotokanDefinition of Shotokan in:
- The British & World English dictionary