Definition of Sino-Tibetan in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting a large language family of eastern Asia whose branches include Sinitic (Chinese), Tibeto-Burman (Burmese and Tibetan), and, in some classifications, Tai (Thai and Lao). They are tonal languages, but the exact relationships among them are unclear.
- A member of the Sino-Tibetan family of languages, Thai is one of the oldest languages in East or Southeast Asia.
- The Tibetan language belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family.
- Zhuang belongs to the Sino-Tibetan language family.
nounBack to top
The Sino-Tibetan language family.
- Balti, spoken in the extreme Northeast, belongs to the Sino-Tibetan, rather than the Indo-European, language family.
Definition of Sino-Tibetan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.