Definition of Sino-Tibetan in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting a large language family of eastern Asia whose branches include Sinitic (Chinese), Tibeto-Burman (Burmese and Tibetan), and, in some classifications, Tai (Thai and Lao). They are tonal languages, but the exact relationships among them are unclear.
- A member of the Sino-Tibetan family of languages, Thai is one of the oldest languages in East or Southeast Asia.
- The Tibetan language belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family.
- Zhuang belongs to the Sino-Tibetan language family.
nounBack to top
The Sino-Tibetan language family.
- Balti, spoken in the extreme Northeast, belongs to the Sino-Tibetan, rather than the Indo-European, language family.
Definition of Sino-Tibetan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan