Definition of Siphonaptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the fleas.
- Mecoptera and Siphonaptera represent two insect orders that have largely been overlooked in the study of insect vision.
- Of the orders recorded with certainty for the first time from Tertiary beds, the Strepsiptera and Siphonaptera may have been relatively late developments, but the others were probably more ancient.
- The name Siphonaptera is derived from the Greek words ‘siphon’ meaning a tube or pipe and ‘aptera’ meaning wingless.
- Example sentences
- Wright reported two species of ectoparasitic Acari and one siphonapteran collected from non-cave sites.
- A classification of siphonapteran families is proposed on the basis of features of 50 structures of head, thorax, and abdomen.
- We present data from a study of the long-wavelength opsin gene sampled across a range of mecopteran and siphonapteran taxa, which include fully visual insects and species with eyes reduced or absent.
Pronunciation: /-rən/noun& adjective
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek siphōn 'tube' + apteros 'wingless'.
Definition of Siphonaptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.