Definition of Siphonaptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the fleas.
- Mecoptera and Siphonaptera represent two insect orders that have largely been overlooked in the study of insect vision.
- Of the orders recorded with certainty for the first time from Tertiary beds, the Strepsiptera and Siphonaptera may have been relatively late developments, but the others were probably more ancient.
- The name Siphonaptera is derived from the Greek words ‘siphon’ meaning a tube or pipe and ‘aptera’ meaning wingless.
- Example sentences
- Wright reported two species of ectoparasitic Acari and one siphonapteran collected from non-cave sites.
- A classification of siphonapteran families is proposed on the basis of features of 50 structures of head, thorax, and abdomen.
- We present data from a study of the long-wavelength opsin gene sampled across a range of mecopteran and siphonapteran taxa, which include fully visual insects and species with eyes reduced or absent.
Pronunciation: /-rən/noun& adjective
Definition of Siphonaptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan