Definition of Sirenia in English:
An order of large aquatic plant-eating mammals that includes the manatees and dugong. They live chiefly in tropical coastal waters and are distinguished by paddlelike forelimbs and a tail flipper replacing hind limbs.
- Order Sirenia: two families and four living species
- Belonging to the order Sirenia, dugongs are believed to have given rise to the mermaid myth.
- Marine mammals are divided into three orders: Carnivora, Sirenia and Cetacea.
- Dugongs belong to the mammalian order Sirenia and are popularly known as sea-cows.
Modern Latin (see siren).
Definition of Sirenia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.