Definition of Sirenia in English:
An order of large aquatic plant-eating mammals that includes the manatees and dugong. They live chiefly in tropical coastal waters and are distinguished by paddlelike forelimbs and a tail flipper replacing hind limbs.
- Order Sirenia: two families and four living species
- Belonging to the order Sirenia, dugongs are believed to have given rise to the mermaid myth.
- Marine mammals are divided into three orders: Carnivora, Sirenia and Cetacea.
- Dugongs belong to the mammalian order Sirenia and are popularly known as sea-cows.
Definition of Sirenia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan