Definition of Stakhanovite in English:
1A worker in the former Soviet Union who was exceptionally hardworking and productive.
- Artworks created in the period of the revolutionary avant-garde - by the Suprematists Kasimir Malevich and Clement Redko, for example - are hung next to Stalinist kitsch, e.g., ‘Stakhanovites on Stalin's Road’ from Alexander Deineka.
- It recognized tens of thousands of women in retailing as labor heroes: exemplary workers, shock workers, and Stakhanovites.
- The shock worker campaign propagandists latched on to his achievement, and soon the shock workers became known as Stakhanovites.
1.1An exceptionally hardworking or zealous person.
- Given the Stakhanovite imperative at work with the public display of the petition, how many students could conceivably have felt free to express a contrary view in any manner?
- The Scotland striker put in a Stakhanovite shift on Thursday night, working Dnipro's rearguard tirelessly and pulling defenders out of position to create openings for others.
- Moravcik's background gives him an appreciation of a Stakhanovite work ethic.
1930s: from the name of Aleksei Grigorevich Stakhanov (1906–77), Russian coal miner.
- Example sentences
- The authors’ analysis suggests that Stakhanovism had no overall impact on economic development, for good or ill.
- The real appeal of Stakhanovism was clearly a material one, for exceptionally high wages and special privileges rewarded workers who exceeded the established production norms.
- Nevertheless, Stakhanovism emerged as a movement based on the virtues of working really hard for really long hours, in exchange for the satisfaction of doing so.
- Example sentences
- The Stakhanovist textile workers get 500 rubles and more, the non-Stakhanovists, 150 rubles or less.
- Along with being the first Stakhanovist of tennis, he had the asset of the intelligent game-play of a mathematician.
- On top of it, the bureaucracy too accelerated the growth of a labor aristocracy by showering the Stakhanovists with gifts and privileges.
Pronunciation: /-vist/noun& adjective
Definition of Stakhanovite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan