Definition of Stalinism in English:
1The ideology and policies adopted by Stalin, based on centralization, totalitarianism, and the pursuit of communism.
- It had one of the strongest Communist parties in the world, which suffered a political catastrophe as a result of the policies of Stalinism.
- The collapse of communism in 1989 brought to light new evidence of the horrors of Stalinism, and gave totalitarianism a new lease of life.
- Of course the filmmaker, like the workers, has grown up under Stalinism and faces great ideological and intellectual obstacles.
1.1Any rigid centralized authoritarian form of communism.
- Certainly, Stalinism, Fascism and religious fanaticism and terror, would be examples of such stifling.
- They give up thinking for themselves - an impulse fatal to democracy but quite appropriate for fascism and Stalinism.
- In the popular mind at present socialism and communism are identified with Stalinism.
Stalinist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- As a result she misses some wonderful opportunities to expose the realities and rhetoric of the Stalinist dictatorship.
- In the final volume he gives a moving picture of Trotsky, persecuted by Stalinists and right wing governments alike, until he finally finds asylum in Mexico.
- There have been decades of experience here of police states - both fascist and Stalinist.
Definition of Stalinism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India