- 1The bicameral legislative body in the Netherlands.More example sentences
- During the republican era the States-General (De Staten Generaal; the Dutch parliament) used a red flag with a yellow/golden lion.
- Incidently, the first States General seal was of the 17 United Netherlands, adopted in 1559, in which the lion clinched 17 arrows (pointing downwards) in his left paw.
- 2 (also Estates General) • historical The legislative body in France until 1789, representing the three estates of the realm (i.e., the clergy, the nobility, and the commons).More example sentences
- Then there is the United States General Accounting Office - Congress' watchdog.
- The States-General opened on May 5, 1789, at Versailles.