- Feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.More example sentences
- The tone of the article might lead one to believe that she is a victim of Stockholm syndrome, but her pre-kidnap views appear to have placed her in the corner of her captors as well.
- He may also be suffering from the political equivalent of Stockholm syndrome, where a victim comes to identify with the objectives of his captors.
- Another common complication in hostage situations is a human defense mechanism called the Stockholm syndrome, in which hostages come to empathize with the captors and their cause.
1970s: with reference to a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden.
More definitions of Stockholm syndromeDefinition of Stockholm syndrome in:
- The British & World English dictionary