Definition of Stuart in English:
Of or relating to the royal family ruling Scotland 1371–1714 and Britain 1603–49 and 1660–1714.
- However, once again he was pre-empted when the earl of Arran (heir to the Stewart succession) was proclaimed governor of Scotland on 3 January 1543.
- From 1424, however, he could demonstrate the Stewart characteristics of energy, intellect, and impulsiveness.
- At such times he acted with all the calculation of a Stuart king in carefully arranging the time and location of a parliament to best suit his personal agenda.
nounBack to top
A member of the Stuart family.
- I'm looking forward to the Tudors and Stewarts.
- This was crucial when there was a rival dynasty in the shape of the Stuarts, with ‘James III’ a claimant throughout both reigns.
- The Restoration brought back the Stuarts but not intensive royal patronage.
Definition of Stuart in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan