- Of or relating to the royal family ruling Scotland 1371–1714 and Britain 1603–49 and 1660–1714.More example sentences
- However, once again he was pre-empted when the earl of Arran (heir to the Stewart succession) was proclaimed governor of Scotland on 3 January 1543.
- From 1424, however, he could demonstrate the Stewart characteristics of energy, intellect, and impulsiveness.
- At such times he acted with all the calculation of a Stuart king in carefully arranging the time and location of a parliament to best suit his personal agenda.
nounBack to top
- A member of the Stuart family.More example sentences
- I'm looking forward to the Tudors and Stewarts.
- This was crucial when there was a rival dynasty in the shape of the Stuarts, with ‘James III’ a claimant throughout both reigns.
- The Restoration brought back the Stuarts but not intensive royal patronage.
More definitions of StuartDefinition of Stuart in:
- The British & World English dictionary