Definition of Sundanese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a mainly Muslim people of western Java.
- Indeed, the Sundanese in rural West Java fervently consider themselves to be as Muslim as they are Sundanese.
- In this paper, I explore Islam as it is practised by the Sundanese in the Priangan Mountains in central West Java.
- Many of Indonesia's most famous pop stars are Sundanese.
2The Indonesian language of the Sundanese.
- They speak both their native tongue, Sundanese, and the Indonesian national language.
- A friend from high school even tried to be creative, writing a long message in three languages - Indonesian, Javanese and Sundanese.
- Most of them mix in words from other languages, like Sundanese, Javanese and the ever-present Betawi (sono in place of sana).
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Sundanese or their language.
- Popular until the 1960s, all-male reog groups often collaborated with other traditional Sundanese musicians, with gongs and flutes often added to the ensemble.
- Unfortunately, we couldn't find a suitable place in this lovely town famous for its delicious rice, as well as the tembang Cianjuran traditional Sundanese music.
- Nurul, who likes Sundanese food and seafood and enjoys the works of John Grisham and Sidney Sheldon, is a Muslim, while her husband is a Catholic.
Definition of Sundanese in:
- British & World English dictionary