- The traditional portion of Muslim law based on Muhammad’s words or acts, accepted (together with the Koran) as authoritative by Muslims and followed particularly by Sunni Muslims.More example sentences
- Shari'a developed not only from the Koran and the Sunna but also through juristic reasoning and interpretation and hence different sects.
- The Sunna, variously translated as ‘custom’, ‘code’, or ‘usage’, means whatever Muhammad, by positive example or implicit approval, demonstrated as the ideal behaviour for a Muslim to follow.
- But - to return one last time to a point I have emphasized throughout - regardless of how clear and precise the statements of the Qur'an and Sunna, the meaning derived from these sources is negotiated through human agency.
Arabic, literally 'form, way, course, rule'.
More definitions of SunnaDefinition of Sunna in:
- The British & World English dictionary