- The governing council of the former Soviet Union or one of its constituent republics. That of the Soviet Union was its highest legislative authority and was composed of two equal chambers: the Soviet of Union and the Soviet of Nationalities.More example sentences
- Following the failed August 1991 putsch by the marginalized cabinet, President Gorbachev dismissed his government and abolished the Supreme Soviet.
- Tereshkova later became a member of the Supreme Soviet, the former Soviet Union's national parliament.
- Most troubling for Gorbachev was the choice of Boris Yeltsin in May 1990 as chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Russian Republic.
More definitions of Supreme SovietDefinition of Supreme Soviet in:
- The British & World English dictionary