Definition of Swiss in English:
1Of or relating to Switzerland or its people.
- Raised in Pennsylvania, he spent the summers in Switzerland with his Swiss architect father.
- In 2001 Switzerland imported Bulgarian goods worth some 60 million Swiss francs.
- Each household has its own favourite recipe, some containing Swiss cheeses that you're unlikely to see outside Switzerland.
1.1 (as plural noun the Swiss) The people of Switzerland.
- We Brits pay, just as do the Swiss, the Germans and the French.
- Swiss history is unique in Europe since the Swiss never had a monarchy.
- That experience taught him how hard it will be to sell our expertise to the Swiss and Germans.
noun (plural same)Back to top
A native or inhabitant of Switzerland, or a person of Swiss descent.
- The missing are thought to include a Briton, a Swiss, a German, five Thais, two Americans, two Australians and three others.
- The firm was established four years ago by a multi-ethnic trio - a Swiss, a Dane and a Thai.
- A painting may not resonate with a Maori as with a German; a song in Chinese means nothing to a Swiss.
Words that rhyme with Swissabyss, amiss, bis, bliss, Chris, Diss, hiss, kiss, Majlis, miss, reminisce, sis, this, vis
Definition of Swiss in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.