Definition of Swiss cheese in English:
1Cheese of a style originating in Switzerland, typically containing large holes.
- Layer with thinly sliced, snipped prosciutto and grated Parmesan cheese or sliced Swiss cheese.
- On the way home we talked longingly of sleep and filled ourselves enormous sandwiches of Swiss cheese, slivered bell peppers, fresh basil leaves, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- The pork schnitzel with Swiss cheese was especially to be recommended, but there is a substantial Thai and international list of dishes from which to choose.
1.1Used figuratively to refer to something that is full of holes, gaps, or defects: the team has Swiss cheese for a defense
More example sentences
- I was fine even though my brand new glider was now swiss cheese.
- Are you saying that he has Swiss cheese for brains?
- This movie has Swiss cheese for a script.
Definition of Swiss cheese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan