Definition of Tamil in English:
1A member of a people inhabiting parts of southern India and Sri Lanka.
- Funds were raised for his defence not only in India but also by the Tamils in South Africa.
- Many Tamils in Sri Lanka identify with this homeland, which runs along the shores of the Bay of Bengal in India.
- Like many Tamils in northern Sri Lanka, his health was seriously affected by the country's protracted civil war.
2The Dravidian language of the Tamils.
- While its history is shrouded, it set the stage for an outpouring of medieval poetry in Tamil, a Dravidian language.
- Immigrants from the states of southern India speak regional languages like Tamil, Telegu, or Malayalam.
- Though he is not familiar with Tamil language, he loves speaking in Tamil.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tamils or their language.
- To them she was known as ‘Amma,’ which means mother in the Tamil language.
- All participants later took an oath to strive for the development of the Tamil language.
- He argues that even after learning the entire Tamil alphabet one will be unable to pronounce some words and letters, unique to Tamil language.
- Example sentences
- For one, there has been resurgence in the interest shown towards traditional arts, with Tamilians everywhere beginning to realize that our culture is something to be proud of, not something to be ashamed about.
- The themes and characters centre on relationships usually set in the background of Tamilians living in America.
- My childhood was spent among Chinese and Tamilian children.
Pronunciation: /təˈmilēən/adjective& noun
The name in Tamil.
Words that rhyme with Tamilamyl
Definition of Tamil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.