- A small language family comprising a number of Pueblo Indian languages, including Tewa and Tiwa, and related to Kiowa.More example sentences
- This is amply evidenced by both North American languages (such as Sierra Miwok and Tanoan) and Papuan New Guinean languages (such as Kewa and Yimas).
- The other Texas tribe that probably spoke Tiwa or a form of Tanoan are the Jumano.
- The Zuñi language may be connected with Tanoan, falling within the Aztec-Tanoan linguistic stock.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Tanoan language family.More example sentences
- All other Pueblo languages are classified within the Aztec-Tanoan Phylum: within the Kiowa-Tanoan family are three Tanoan languages, Tiwa, Tewa, and Towa; the Hopi language is an isolate within the Uto-Aztecan family; and Keresan is an unclassified language isolate not yet assigned to any family within the phylum.
- He was of the belief that the Tanoan family is a remote branch of the Shoshonean, but thus far the relationship has not been definitively shown.
- Their name for themselves is ‘Tuei’ and they speak southern Tiwa, a Tanoan language.
from Spanish Tano + -an.
More definitions of TanoanDefinition of Tanoan in:
- The British & World English dictionary