Definition of Tarahumara in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of an American Indian people of northwestern Mexico.
- Many centuries ago, the Tarahumara of northern Mexico took turns running down deer in the middle of the day.
- Thirty percent of Chihuahua's population comprises members of the indigenous Tarahumara and infant mortality is high due to diarrheal diseases and other childhood infections.
- Cool your toes on fast, fun river crossings near the village of Cerro Colorado, visit the indigenous Tarahumara, and bunk down in a restored hacienda built into the canyon walls.
2The Uto-Aztecan language of the Tarahumara.
- Part of his strategy when he embarked on this lifetime project was to learn to speak Tarahumara so that he could deal directly with the people.
- Some older Spanish speakers who live there speak Tarahumara for work or trade.
- Please replace this text with what is appropriate in Central Tarahumara and help complete the missing templates.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tarahumara or their language.
- Enjoy breathtaking scenery, discover the world of the shy and mysterious Tarahumara Indians, and indulge in Mexican hospitality on this all-inclusive tour.
- She longs for the serene life of her childhood ranch and her Tarahumara friend, Sabochi, who played games with her brothers and looked after the children while their father worked.
- He arrived in America in 1673 and began teaching and baptizing the Tarahumara Indians of the Southwest.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan