- Of or relating to Thailand, its people, or their language.More example sentences
- The menu includes a wide range of appetizers, soups, salads, main courses, and desserts along with the accompanying rice and noodles and a variety of Thai curries.
- Phayathai is one of those restaurants where you can order just about anything without going wrong - although the same could pretty much be said of Thai cuisine in general.
- While some specialise in Ayurvedic treatment and massages, others go for a hybrid combination of Thai massage using Ayurvedic oils and even electric vibrators.
noun (plural same or Thais)Back to top
- 1A native or inhabitant of Thailand.More example sentences
- Out of 27 recent arrests for theft and break and entry, 20 were Thai nationals.
- He described Pattaya's problems as ‘complex’ due to the influx of Thais from around the nation looking for employment.
- Ordinary Thais across the nation have folded and written peace messages on the paper cranes in a campaign devised by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
- 1.1A member of the largest ethnic group in Thailand.More example sentences
- In an attempt to consolidate his support around nationalism, he renamed the country Thailand, after its ethnic majority, the Thais, in 1939.
- Further separatist attacks on security forces and ethnic Thais were carried out over the following days.
- The Dai, the largest of Xishuangbanna's 13 ethnic groups are the northern cousins of the Thais.
- 1.2A person of Thai descent.More example sentences
- Overseas Thais are being encouraged to take holidays in Thailand in order to reacquaint themselves with their motherland and native culture.
- As we have already seen, there is no strong link between learning Thai and being Thai; one can be Thai without speaking the language.
- Although many traditional beliefs are retained by Thai Americans, Thais often try to adjust their beliefs in order to live in the United States comfortably.
- 2The Tai language that is the official language of Thailand.More example sentences
- The Thai include those who speak Thai or Central Thai as their first language.
- It is important to read and speak and write Thai, then really get to know the country.
- In the United States there are more speakers of Navajo than there are speakers of Scandinavian languages, Thai, or Hungarian.
Thai, literally 'free'.
More definitions of ThaiDefinition of Thai in:
- The British & World English dictionary