noun(usually the Third World)
- The developing countries of Asia, Africa, and Latin America.More example sentences
- That is the case with regard to many states in the Third World, especially sub-Saharan Africa.
- Few people knew more about Africa or the Third World in general than he did.
- It is really important to take every opportunity to develop links with activists in the Third World.
translation of French tiers monde first used in the 1950s to distinguish the developing countries from the capitalist and communist blocs.
More definitions of Third WorldDefinition of Third World in:
- The British & World English dictionary