Definition of Thursday in English:
- On Thursday morning I was sitting by the river in Matlock enjoying the sun and a nice cup of tea.
- Harry will be required to put in a full day's work at Sandhurst on Thursday and Friday.
- Mr Baker will be at the gallery on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
adverbchiefly North American Back to top
- Since he boarded the flight in Cairo Thursday he has looked fresh and fit at every turn.
- The pitch is that folks who stay Thursday get Friday at half price.
- Ccampaign officials expressed relief that the Newsweek poll, taken Thursday and Friday, found no significant change.
- Training takes place at Ulverston Astro Thursdays 7pm till 8.30 pm, new members welcome.
- Ordinarily I would have the excuse that I had to work early, but Thursdays I started late.
- Monday through Wednesday I put in about four hours a day, Thursdays I'm off because of my school schedule.
Old English Thu(n)resdæg 'day of thunder', named after Thunor or Thor, the Germanic god of thunder; translation of late Latin Jovis dies 'day of Jupiter', Thor being equated with the Roman god Jupiter. Compare with Dutch donderdag and German Donnerstag.
Tuesday from Old English:
The ancient Germanic god Tiw is the source of Tuesday. When Germanic peoples came into contact with the Romans they realized that their god Tiw was similar to Mars, the Roman god of war whose day was the third of the week (and who appears in forms such as the French Mardi), and started to call that day ‘Tiw's day’ or Tuesday. Other days of the week were formed in a similar way, with Wednesday being Woden's day, Thursday Thor's day, and Friday Freya's day; Woden or Odin was the supreme god of the German and Scandinavian peoples, Thor the god of thunder, and Freya or Frigga the goddess of love and fertility.
Words that rhyme with Thursdaybirthday
Definition of Thursday in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.