- The largest of the Lesser Sunda Islands, in the southern Malay Archipelago. The island was formerly divided into Dutch West Timor and Portuguese East Timor. In 1950, West Timor was absorbed into the newly formed Republic of Indonesia. In 1975, East Timor declared itself independent but was invaded and occupied by Indonesia; it finally became an independent state in 2002 (see East Timor).
- More example sentences
- Now student activists, former students and the Timorese press have begun the first independent publications for the information-thirsty public.
- Of the 18 people indicted and tried, all but one (a Timorese civilian) were either acquitted or freed on appeal.
- More seriously, a better alternative than any language without historical roots in Timor might be to attempt to codify a fusion of the Timorese dialects.
Pronunciation: /ˌtēməˈrēz, -ˈrēs/adjective & noun
More definitions of TimorDefinition of Timor in:
- The British & World English dictionary