Definition of Tswana in English:
noun (plural same, Tswanas, or Batswana /bätˈswänə/)
1A member of a people living in Botswana, South Africa, and neighboring areas.
- The rest were 10 Indians, two Americans, two Koreans, one Kenyan, five Malawians, a Belgian, one Senegalese, one Dutch, one Greek, one German national, two Ghanaians, three Tswanas, two Canadians, a Dane and two Irish nationals.
- Thank you to all my thousands of supporters, my people, all the farmers and all the Tswanas and Zulus who love me.
- In the late 19th century, hostilities broke out between the Batswana and Boer settlers from the Transvaal.
2The language of the Tswana, one of the official languages of South Africa. Also called Setswana.
- The schoolbooks were in English, notably the ubiquitous Nelson's Royal Readers, and Plaatje emerged with English alongside Tswana as his main language.
- There are other languages, Tswana, Venda, and Ndebela.
- It boasts a multi-lingual programme, including Sotho, Tswana, Pedi, Afrikaans and Xhosa, and creates an opportunity for writers to stimulate the often declining readership of their vernacular.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tswana or their language.
- The name Kami means acceptance in the Tswana language.
- The domination of the country by the Tswana polities has persisted in a nonethnic government through the easy assumption of the predominance of Tswana people, language, and customs.
- There was a Bushman village near Roger's camp and I walked there with Tumalano, his Tswana foreman, who spoke their language as well as English.
stem of Setswana moTswana, plural baTswana.
Words that rhyme with TswanaAfricana, Afrikaner, Americana, ana, banana, Botswana, bwana, cabana, caragana, Christiana, Dana, darner, Edwardiana, garner, Georgiana, Ghana, Gloriana, Guiana, gymkhana, Haryana, iguana, Lana, lantana, liana, Lipizzaner, Ljubljana, Mahayana, mana, mañana, marijuana, nirvana, Oriana, pacarana, piranha, prana, Purana, Rosh Hashana, Santayana, Setswana, sultana, Tatiana, Tijuana, Tirana, tramontana, varna, Victoriana, zenana
Definition of Tswana in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan