noun (plural same)
- 1A member of an East African people living between Lake Turkana and the Nile.More example sentences
- But over the years, more and more Ariaal - like the Masai and the Turkana in Kenya and the Tuaregs and Bedouins elsewhere in Africa - are settling down.
- Not only does the Turkana's lifestyle provide a challenge for health care, but the region's poor roads and bridges also hamper healthcare delivery.
- For the Turkana, the beneficent god Akuj is white and luminous, whereas the bad spirit called Ekipe is black or red.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to the Turkana or their language.More example sentences
- In recent decades, Turkana women have progressively ceased to wear their traditional skin clothing, primarily because of recurrent droughts and famine in the region.
- This married woman's apron, probably dating from the 1980s, played an important part in many events of Turkana life.
- Originally used by girls as fertility dolls, Turkana dolls have been made for sale to tourists over the past few decades.
a local name.
More definitions of TurkanaDefinition of Turkana in:
- The British & World English dictionary