Definition of Turkmen in English:
noun (plural same or Turkmens)
1A member of a group of Turkic peoples inhabiting the region east of the Caspian Sea and south of the Aral Sea, now comprising Turkmenistan and parts of Iran and Afghanistan.
- He cited the rights of the Kurds, Turkmens and women.
- That plan is bitterly opposed by Turkmens.
- The Turkmens are perhaps closest to the modern Turks of today.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Turkmens, their language, or the region they inhabit.
- The Turkmen language used in Turkmenistan borrows many words from Russian.
- The demonstration coincided with a general strike by the city's approximately 300,000 Turkmen residents.
- When a 670-lb meteorite landed in Turkmenistan in 1999, Turkmen scientists named it after Turkmenbashi.
Definition of Turkmen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia