Definition of U-turn in English:
1The turning of a vehicle in a U-shaped course so as to face in the opposite direction.
- He turned the flashers on just before he made a U-turn, heading back in the direction he'd come.
- I made a U-turn on the taxiway and headed back to the line to get it checked.
- Faith slammed on the brakes, and made a U-turn in the middle of the empty street.
1.1A change of plan, especially a reversal of political policy: another U-turn by the government
More example sentences
- Public anger has forced members of the powerful council cabinet to do a U-turn over plans to slash the budgets of the town's community centres.
- The public inquiry could be called off, however, if councillors accept the officers' advice and do a U-turn on their previous decision.
- It was good to see the Government do a U-turn on that matter.
Words that rhyme with U-turnupturn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan